Monday, September 24, 2007

Assignment 1, Introduction

My name is Darlene Pitman and I am a fourth year, middle school science teacher. I'm happily married with two teenagers who have gifted me with many gray hairs in pursuit of their happiness. I love technology but I loath blogging; I'm muttering curse words under my breath with each word I type.

I was recently accepted by the National Science Teachers Association as an Amgen fellow and I'm participating in their eMSS (electronic Mentoring for Student Success)which means I'm going to find myself spending a considerable amount of time typing in front of a computer this year.

This is my first class in my first quarter of the master's program at CSUSB and I am looking forward to a productive and intense year. Hopefully the learning curve isn't too steep and an old dog can learn new tricks.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Darlene,

Welcome! :) Although technology is essentially my life, I was once in the same boat as you in hating blogging. They seemed boring and a lot of wasted time but then I found an oulet :)

We're teachers right? What if you had a blog on your school webpage that you posted to maybe 1 or 2 times a week? You have a ready-made communication tool with your parents and students! More importantly, you would have less pressure and no need to continually update your own website, which most of us don't have time for anyhow. :) You could post assignments, thoughts, letters, ANYTHING in your blog and it's all there for students to get at home (and parents). PLUS, they can subscribe to get your updates :)

Just something to think about :)

James said...

Hi Darlene,

Welcome to Cal State San Bernardino! Great to have you returning to school.
This program is really wonderful. You will find many of the professors to be helpful and sincere in their teaching. I currently teach at RCC in Moreno Valley and I model some of my teaching styles from what I have experienced myself from watching my professors here at Cal State.
If you ever have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

James

Ms Griffin said...

Wow, Darlene,

Welcome to ETEC!

Congratulations! Being accepted by the National Science Teachers Association sounds very impressive. What does this actually entail besides typing?

Why do you hate blogging? I am new to it except for occasional MySpace entries.

Teenagers do have a way of taking up a considerable amount of time, attention, and resources.

I hope you enjoy this quarter and if you need anything do not hesitate to ask.

Take care,

Debora

Maria C. Pallares said...

Darlene

Thank you for offering your help. I know I will need it. I have applied for the San Bernardino District, the Fontana District, and the Jurupa District.

Michele said...

Hi Darlene,

Welcome to the program. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The professors are great and can help you with just about everything.
Congrats on being accepted into the National Science Teachers Association,what alldoes it entail?
Where do you teach middle school at?

Ozzie Barajas said...

Mrs. Pitman,
I am posting my answers to the test in a different format. I think I will try to use your format for next time. In my school we are also doing something similar to the action research mentioned in the readings.