Saturday, October 13, 2007

Assignment 5, 3 Articles

I’m interested in the social aspect of online learning because I am uncomfortable in groups larger than 5 or 6. I’m interested to see if the theory that online learning will encourage more equal participation, and all students will be comfortable in the group, is true.

Harasim, L. (1993). Collaborating in cyberspace: Using computer conferences as a group learning environment. Interactive Learning Environments. 3, p. 119-130
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a739633150~db=all
Important because it explores one method of cyber instruction: Computer Conferencing.

Chih-Hsiung, T. (2002). The relationship of social presence and interaction in online classes. American Journal of Distance Education. 16, p. 131-150
http://www.leaonline.com/doi/abs/10.1207/S15389286AJDE1603_2
Important because it explores what has been studied.

Newberry, B., Jesunathadas, J. & Santiago, R. (2007). A study of faculty readiness for online teaching. Proceedings of World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications 2007 (pp. 2426-2433).
http://www.editlib.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Reader.ViewAbstract&paper_id=25712
Important because it explores what has been studied and because Dr. Joseph Jesunathadas is the greatest science teacher on the planet.

7 comments:

MsKathyK said...

I remember when you wrote your introduction that you stated that you hated blogging and I agreed with you. After reading the articles today, I realized that there is a real potential for some real educational possiblities in the use of blogs. One way that they help is by being able to see how other students understood an assignment. Another way is to try and get some authentic conversations going between students. It is my guess that when we respond to each other we should be writing more than I liked your comments. Taking that into account, I do want to thank you for the model I received by reviewing your work today.
Kathy

James said...

Darlene,

Your articles look very good and interesting to read. But on your APA format, aren't the names of journals supposed to be italized? I always thought that the name of the journal (not the title of the article) and also the volume number of the journal was supposed to be italized. You may want to check into this before the deadline tonight.

Other than that, everything looks really good.

James

ٌRebecca said...

Hi Darlene,
You and I must have gotten opposite halves of the same brain.... I adore being in large groups, but wish I had your tech skills. That's great that you cited one of Dr. Newberry's articles. I am looking forward to reading it. I plan to come back and visit everyone's blogs more during the week. I agree with what Kathy said, it's a good way of getting to know each other.
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

B Newberry author huh? ;)

So, after you read the articles what did you think? Did you find that you aren't alone in wanting online instruction or having smaller groups to work with? I'm probably just like you, as soon as an instructor says "turn to your neighbor . . . " I groan.

Do you mind me asking how you find your articles? They seemed from a variety of sources, did you just do a google search and see what came up?

I like your topic of research as we're all in this online instructional method.

Jon

Unknown said...

Great articles, I am also interested in your research method. I went straight to the CSUSB library resources, it never even occoured to me to try a web search. I think Google even has a search devoted to "scholarly articles"; I will have to check that out.

Bill said...

I usually start with scholar.google.com and then use our Cal State online library to track down the resource. Some of the online resources cost a fortune. Google has some great search algorithms that are unmatched. One method of many. Happy hunting. Bill

Bruce Rhodewalt said...

Bill, thanks for the advice on scholar.google.com. I wasn't aware of it. I have bumped into it in the past without noticing.